The aim of this program is to enable students to gain the skills to access, evaluate and interpret information in the field of Nutrition and Dietetics, and to enable them to defend their master’s thesis in front of the jury stipulated by the regulation and produce an academic product by using these competencies. Our dieticians who graduate after meeting the graduation requirements of the Master Program (With Thesis) award the title of expert. As defined in the regulation, the person is a MSc dietician with a Graduate education in the Department of Nutrition and Dietetics. Dieticians, who are our students, specialize in one of the fields they are interested in such as Dietetics, Collective Nutrition Systems, Nutrition Sciences and Community Nutrition, Sports Nutrition within the Department of Nutrition and Dietetics. In this context, Lokman Hekim University Nutrition and Dietetics Master Program (With Thesis) was established by the decision of the Higher Education Council dated 01.08.2018. The language of instruction of the program is Turkish. It is indispensable to use resources in foreign languages (English) in the education process. The program is carried out by expert faculty members in the field of Nutrition and Dietetics. Averagely 8 students are accepted to the program each year.
Master’s Degree in Nutrition and Dietetics,
Acceptance and Enrolment Conditions
Student applications and admissions and final registrations for the Nutrition and Dietetics Master Program (With Thesis) are made in line with Lokman Hekim University Health Sciences University Regulation on Graduate Education and Training. In addition, the special conditions required for the students who apply with the recommendation of the Department and the decision of the Institute Administrative Board before each application period, the entrance exam place and date are determined and announced before the application.
The following conditions are required for candidates who will apply to graduate programs:
Students who have graduated from the Faculty of Health Sciences Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, which provides 4-year education, can apply to the Nutrition and Dietetics Master Program.
Turkish or foreign students who have completed their undergraduate program in foreign countries must have the equivalence or recognition document they will receive from the Higher Education Council (YÖK).
In the applications to the program, it is required to have Academic Personnel and Postgraduate Education Entrance Exam (ALES) (Mathematics – Science / Turkish – Mathematics) score determined by the Institute Board, provided that it is not less than 55.
In the applications of Turkish or foreign students who have completed their undergraduate program in foreign countries, to their master program (With Thesis), the equivalent scores accepted as Academic Personnel and Postgraduate Education Entrance Exam (ALES) (GRE, GMAT, etc.) and equivalent scores announced by the Council of Higher Education are accepted instead of the Academic Personnel and Postgraduate Education Entrance Exam (ALES) result.
Students who meet the application requirements are taken to the scientific evaluation exam (written and / or interview).
The calculation of the general success grade is made by considering the Academic Personnel and Postgraduate Education Entrance Exam (ALES) score, the undergraduate graduation grade average and the results of the Scientific evaluation exam. According to the general success grade ranking, within the specified quota, the student is entitled to final registration.
Recognition of Prior Learning
To have a nutrition and dietetics bachelor’s degree
Qualification Conditions and Rules
In order to graduate from the Nutrition and Dietetics Master Program (With Thesis), the student must complete at least seven courses, a seminar course and a thesis study, with a total of not less than twenty-one credits. The seminar course and thesis work are non-credit and are evaluated as successful / unsuccessful. Master Program (With Thesis) consists of at least eight courses including the seminar course and a total of at least 120 ECTS credits, including the seminar course, on the condition that it is not less than 60 ECTS credits for one academic term. 1 ECTS is equivalent to 30 hours of workload.
If the student is asked to transfer from the courses taken from other higher education institutions, the total credits of the courses to be transferred cannot exceed 50 % of the total credits of the courses that the student must take in the graduate program in which the student is registered. Student has to take at least half of the total credit required by its program from its own program. In addition, students can choose a maximum of two courses from the courses offered in other higher education institutions with the recommendation of the Head of the Institute Department and the approval of the Institute Administrative Board. ‘Lokman Hekim University Regulation on Graduate Education and Training’ is taken as basis in the evaluation of the course success of students.
Aim of Program
The aim of the Nutrition and Dietetics Master Program is to educate the dieticians who have the knowledge, skills, self-efficacy and responsibility to identify individual social problems in the field of nutrition and to organize plans and solution processes based on pre-analysis for solution, is competent to perform nutrition education and management by determining the effects of physiological, psychological and economic factors in food selection, are qualified to supervise, manage and organize food preparation and cooking units in hospitals, private and public health institutions at different levels and in all institutions providing collective nutrition services, can research the negative and positive effects of foods on public and human health and share their results and have gained experience in determining consumption levels, can organize the necessary infrastructure for the functions of dietary factors that are effective in the protection, development and improvement of health, can analyse the nutritional and nutrient requirements in pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, adolescence, adulthood and old age, and the nutritional problems encountered in these periods, with ethical values who can play a role as managers or stakeholders in determining and implementing the nutritional policies of the country, and with advanced skills.
Program Qualifications (Outcomes)
- Graduates gain the ability to transfer the theoretical and practical knowledge they have gained through discipline-specific training in the field of Nutrition and Dietetics to the fields they work.
- Graduates gain the ability to identify problems in the field of Nutrition and Dietetics, analyse them with analytical methods, analyse and evaluate them with current literature.
- Graduates acquire the ability to collect and interpret scientific information in line with ethical principles, and to be able to conduct, manage, manage and evaluate national and international nutrition plans and policies, taking into account the individual and society.
- Graduates use their knowledge and skills for the development of their colleagues.
- Graduates gain the ability to follow scientific publications in a foreign language, and to communicate in writing and orally.
- Graduates gain awareness of lifelong learning and the ability to continuously renew themselves during and after their education at national and / or international level.
Employment Opportunities of Dieticians:
- In the Education and Research Institutions (universities etc.): Researcher and Lecturer Academician,
- In public health services such as Mother and Child Health Centres, Family Health Centres, Elderly Care Centres: Preventive Health Services Dieticians,
- In Food Industry, in product development for special purposes: Researcher Dietician,
- In each medical department in the hospitals: Clinical Nutrition Dietician,
- In institutions and organizations that provide mass nutrition services (nurseries, schools, hotels, etc. all institutions that provide mass nutrition): Mass Nutrition Systems Dietician and Executive Dietician,
- In sports centres (for each team, each sportsman): Sportsman Dietician,
- In Private Diet Counselling Centres: Health Preventive, Therapeutic Dietician
- In big markets: Consumer Advisory Dietician,
- In the media (written, oral and visual media), with correct information, in protecting and improving public health: educational dieticians
- On line advisory: provide service of dietician,
- In addition, Dieticians have the authority to establish and run a “Special Nutrition Counselling Centre”.
Transition to Higher Degree Programs
Students who graduate from the Nutrition and Dietetics Master Program can apply to doctoral programs when they meet the other required conditions.
Assessment and Evaluation
Course success grade is given to students for each course at the end of the term they are enrolled. Course success grade is obtained by evaluating the success of the student during the term (midterm examinations, homework, applied studies, projects, laboratory, and similar studies) and the general examination. Program courses must be successfully completed in two years at most, with a minimum GPA of 2.50.
In order for a student to graduate from the Nutrition and Dietetics Master program (With Thesis), the student must have completed all the courses in the program, must meet a minimum of 120 ECTS credits, and have a GPA of at least 2.50 out of 4.00. In a master program (With Thesis), a student has to prepare a thesis related to his / her field, write the results of his / her thesis in accordance with the institute’s thesis writing rules and defend his / her thesis verbally before the jury. The graduation date of the student is the date of the thesis exam in which the master thesis is accepted.
Education type is full-time. When necessary, courses and examinations can be held after the end of working hours on weekdays and/or on Saturdays and Sundays.