MASTER’S DEGREE PROGRAM WITH THESIS ON HOSPITAL PHARMACY
The Master’s Degree Program with Thesis on Hospital Pharmacy is opened within the Institute of Medical Sciences of Lokman Hekim University after it was deemed appropriate by the resolution passed in the meeting of the Council of Higher Education on 02.09.2020. This is a multidisciplinary program that is carried out by the specialized academic members in different areas of pharmacy. In addition, the guest academic members of Lokman Hekim University experienced in hospital pharmacy provide support for the program. The course language is Turkish.
Master’s Degree on Hospital Pharmacy
Acceptance and Enrolment Conditions
Student’s application for, acceptance and final enrolment to Master’s Degree Program with Thesis on Hospital Pharmacy is carried out in accordance with Postgraduate Education Instruction of Institute of Medical Sciences, Lokman Hekim University. Furthermore, specific conditions required from the applied students, place and date of entrance exam are determined with recommendation of Department and Institute’s Management Board’s resolution prior to each application period; it is announced prior to applications.
Graduates from faculty of pharmacy may apply to Master’s Degree Program with Thesis on Hospital Pharmacy.
Turkish or foreign students who have completed an undergraduate program in foreign countries must have a certificate of equivalence or certificate of recognition issued by the Council of Higher Education (YÖK).
The score for ALES (SAY/EA) must not be less than 55 for the applications to program as determined by the Institute Board.
The students who meet the application conditions must take the scientific assessment exam (written exam and/or interview).
Calculation of general final grade is based on the ALES score, grade point average of undergraduate graduation and the result of scientific assessment exam. The students will be entitled to final enrolment within the specified quota on the basis of general final grade ranking.
Recognition of Previous Study
The successful students who have received education for minimum one half-term in the university or postgraduate program of other higher education institutions may apply for horizontal transfer to another postgraduate program in the university. For application to be accepted, there must be a quota for horizontal transfer to postgraduate; the student must meet the student acceptance conditions for the postgraduate program; and the student must pass each of the courses received during the postgraduate education for minimum one half-term.
Acceptance and adaptation of students applied for horizontal transfer must comply with the applicable articles of Postgraduate Education and Exam Regulation of Lokman Hekim University.
Qualification Conditions and Rules
To be graduated from the Master’s Degree Program with Thesis on Hospital Pharmacy, the students are required to complete minimum 21 credits and 120 ECTS (minimum seven courses, seminar course and thesis study). Seminar course and thesis study do not require any credits and are considered pass/failure. Even if the student has courses with credit transfer, they must take minimum half of the total credit required by their program from their own program. If the counselor deems appropriate and necessary, they may chose courses from other programs. Postgraduate Education and Exam Regulation of Lokman Hekim University shall apply to assessment of student course success.
Objectives of Program
Master’s Degree Program on Hospital Pharmacy is intended to
- Educate pharmacists having current knowledge and skills for the hospital services, patient care and any pharmacy services provided in the hospital, contribute to their professional practice, and educate competent pharmacists in any fields required by the hospitals,
- Enrich and update knowledge of hospital pharmacists educated by the program on the reasonable use of drugs, drugs and treatment; improve the evidence-based practical skills, and contribute to providing innovative and quality services in the hospitals.
Program Qualifications (Acquirements)
- They have knowledge on the scope of pharmacy services in the hospitals and the responsibilities of pharmacist.
- They provide consultancy to patients, other healthcare professionals and institution regarding drug therapy, ensure that drugs are used in accordance with principles for reasonable use of drugs, and take charge in treatment optimization.
- They are informed of the treatment follow-up after use of drugs by the risky patient groups.
- They follow the basic principles for preparation of magistral and aseptic drugs.
- They have knowledge on the supply, preparation of and access to cytotoxic drugs; treatment follow-up; storage conditions for drugs; and drug interactions.
- They have knowledge on the safe use of drugs during risky periods, safe use of drugs in case of chronic diseases, and drug-food, drug-alcohol, drug-drug interactions.
- They identify and monitor the adverse effects of drugs and products; provide information on the prevention or minimization of adverse effects, and follow the rules for reporting adverse effects.
- They know the stock management of drugs and medical consumables, medical consumables and how they are used.
- The pharmacists who will be assigned to an executive position in the hospital pharmacy have the managerial competency and knowledge and skills for the leadership, management, worker’s safety, and communication network.
- They have knowledge on the herbal pharmaceutical products, evidence-based rational phytotherapy, and use of medical plants.
- They know the assessment of biochemical tests, their role in diagnosis and treatment, and basic principles for interpretation of test results,, and assess the disease-reagent-drug relation.
- Hospital Pharmacy
Transfer to Upper Programs
The students graduated from the Master’s Degree Program with Thesis on Hospital Pharmacy may apply to different doctorate programs if they meet the required conditions.
Assessment and Evaluation
The students receive a course final grade for each course at the end of the half-term. The course final grade is calculated by assessment of success achieved by the student during the half-term (mid-term exams, assignments, applied studies, projects, laboratory and similar activities) and general exam together. The program courses must be successfully completed in maximum two years with general point average of minimum 2.50.
For a student enrolled in a master’s degree program to be graduated from the program, they must meet the conditions set out in the Postgraduate Education and Exam Regulation of Lokman Hekim University.
Study type is full-time. When necessary, courses and exams may be taken after the end of working hours during the week and/or on the Saturday and Sunday, or online i.e., synchronous and distant.
Program Supervisor and Contact Details
Prof Dr Yılmaz ÇAPAN
Department Head of Pharmacy Practices
Phone: 444 8 548 Extension: 6430